In general, the tuition fee is € 363.36 per semester for EU nationals from their 9th semester of doctoral studies onwards. Non-EU citizens pay € 726.72 per semester from their first semester onwards. In addition to these amounts, you will also need to pay the students‘ union fee incl. insurance (~20€ per semester). (source)
Waiving of tuition fees for a semester (generally for EU citizens, in exceptional cases for non-EU citizens as well) is granted for several reasons (source). For example:
- Commitment and work for councils of the student union. (get involved and come to our next JourFixe),
- Employment of regular students at TU Wien for at least 20 hours per week, given the employment relationship exists for the entire semester,
- Serious illness for more than two months or pregnancy.
- Some groups of people, such as refugees, are granted this regulation.
- Citizen of some countries like, for example, Afghanistan, Yemen or Somalia, have a special agreement to be exempted of tuition fee.
In these cases you have to apply for waiving of tuition fees in the Department for Studies.
For more detailed information, please take a look at the website of the Department for Studies:
Please note: Within the extended admission period (5th of February to 30th of April for the summer semester and 5th of September to 30th of November for the winter semester) the amount of the tuition fee for EU citizens is increased by 10%.